What is Mensa?
Mensa is an international society of people with high IQs. The society is open to anyone who scores at or above the 98th percentile on an approved intelligence test. Mensa members can take part in a wide range of activities, including social events, competitions, and discussions on a variety of topics.
The History of Mensa
Did you know that Mensa, the international high IQ society, has a fascinating history dating back nearly 70 years? Here’s a look at how it all began.
Mensa was founded in 1946 by Roland Berrill, an Australian barrister, and Dr. Lancelot Ware, a British engineer and scientist. The two had met while working on the development of an intelligence test for use in selection for the British armed forces.
Berrill and Ware were intrigued by the idea of creating a society for people with high IQs, and they decided to form Mensa, which is Latin for “table.” The name was chosen to signify that everyone is welcome at the Mensa “table” regardless of race, creed, or national origin.
Mensa International was officially founded in Oxford, England, in July of 1946, with Berrill as its first chairman and Ware as its vice chairman.
To become a member of Mensa, you must score in the top 2% on an intelligence test that has been approved by the society. Mensa offers several different tests, including the Cognitive Assessment System, the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, and the Universal Nonverbal Intelligence Test.
Once you’ve been accepted as a member, you’ll receive a Mensa membership card and will be able to take part in local, national, and international events and activities. You’ll also have access to the Mensa network of friends and acquaintances who share your high IQ.
So, there you have it – a brief history of Mensa, the international high IQ society. If you’re interested in learning more, or in taking an intelligence test to see if you qualify for membership, visit the Mensa website today.
How to Join Mensa
Assuming you are referring to American Mensa, there are three ways to join:
1. Take the Mensa Admission Test
Anyone can walk in to any of our testing sessions and take the Mensa Admission Test. The test is administered by a certified proctor and consists of two timed IQ-type tests. The test fee is $60.
2. Submit Previous Test Scores
If you have already taken an IQ test that you feel is an accurate reflection of your abilities, you may submit those scores for Mensa membership consideration. The submission fee is $60.
3. Take the Mensa Practice Test
If you would like to get an idea of what the Mensa Admission Test is like, you can take the Mensa Practice Test. The Mensa Practice Test fee is $18.
The Benefits of Being a Mensa Member
1. Mensa members have access to a global network of like-minded people.
2. Mensa members can attend special events and conferences designed for high-IQ individuals.
3. Mensa members can take part in special interest groups and discussion forums.
4. Mensa members can access a range of exclusive services and products, including insurance, travel, and discounts on books and products.
Famous Mensa Members
Mensa is an international society for people with high IQs. Its members are some of the smartest people in the world. Here are five famous Mensa members.
1. Kim Ung-Yong is a Korean civil engineer and former child prodigy.
2. Christopher Hirata is an American astrophysicist. At age fourteen, he became the youngest person ever to receive a perfect score on the Princeton University physics department’s qualifying exam.
3. Rick Rosner is an American television writer and producer. He is also a high-stakes gambler and former nude model. He has an IQ of 192.
4. Marilyn vos Savant is an American magazine columnist. She has an IQ of 228, the highest ever recorded.
5. William James Sidis is an American mathematician and philosopher. He has an IQ of 250.
Mensa in the News
Mensa, the high IQ society, has been in the news a lot lately. Here are six recent stories about Mensa that you may have missed.
1. Mensa International Launches Online IQ Test
Mensa International, the organization for people with high IQs, has launched an online IQ test.
2. Mensa Offers Free Membership to Syrian Refugees
Mensa International has announced that it will offer free membership to Syrian refugees. The offer is open to any Syrian refugee who can demonstrate that they have an IQ in the top 2% of the population.
3. Mensa Members Can Now Get discounts on Amazon
Mensa members can now get discounts on Amazon.com. It can sign up for an Amazon Prime membership and receive a $40 discount on the annual membership fee.
4. Mensa Members Can Now Get Discounts on Starbucks
Mensa members can now get discounts on Starbucks coffee. It can show their membership card at any Starbucks location and receive a 10% discount on their total purchase.
5. Mensa Members Can Now Get Discounts on Delta Airlines
Mensa members can now get discounts on Delta Airlines. It can show their membership card at any Delta ticket counter and receive a 10% discount on their airfare.
6. Mensa Members Can Now Get Discounts on Hertz Rent-a-Car.